The Newark Museum will once again host the Greater Newark Mini Maker Faire on Saturday, May 6, 2017 from 10am to 5pm.
Jayde Lovell, host ofScIQ and fixture on the Science Channel, will demonstrate how to break a slab of wood with bare hands and give an ongoing presentation on how cameras capture light, by studying how water hits its human targets. The Greater Newark Mini Maker Faire is a celebration of creativity and ingenuity in the New Jersey community. The faire invites makers—from woodworkers and beekeepers, from robotics engineers and 3D-printing artists, to present their projects that take DIY thinking to a new level. Whether they’re presenting a clever new robotic arm, algorithms that draw or the science behind conductive ink, the Makers at this event will captivate and inspire — all alongside the Museum’s art and science collections acting as the ultimate ‘maker’ examples.
The event is more about show than tell in a fun faire environment. Join demonstrations, participate in hands-on workshops and be inspired by speakers pushing the limits of the art, science and technology.
Makers from across New Jersey will be on hand; activities and demonstrations include:
- Expressing creativity through interaction with easy to use wooden drawing mechanisms built by New Jersey craftsman John P. Chismar.
- Creating a glass terrarium project complete with living plants and ornaments with Fern & Fossil.
- Learning about 3D Printers from S Squared 3D Printers manufactures of the AFP series catering to the hobbies, education and small manufacturing Community
- Understand literature using Raspberry Pi microcomputers.
- Joining GlassRoots for flameworking technique demonstrations.
To learn about additional Makers and their demonstrations, visit the Greater Newark Mini Maker Faire website.
Tickets are available through May 6 and include general Museum admission. Maker Faire ticket prices: Museum member and Newark Resident Adult – $3; Museum member and Newark Resident Child, Veteran, Senior and Student – FREE; Adult – $20; Child, Veteran, Senior and Student – $8; Children under 2 – FREE.